Uganda is a country in Africa. Uganda is bisected by the Blue Nile. The country is fairly flat but is has some hills. Uganda has plenty of forest. The country is hot throughout the year. The Equator passes through this country.
The Ugandans are almost all black. They are divided into several tribes such as Buganda and Acholi. Each tribe has its own language. The official language of the nation is English. Most people can also speak Swahili.
Uganda has an area called Buganda. There was a King of Buganda. The British annexed Uganda in 1890 and created the country. The King of Buganda co operated with them.
Indians came over to do some technical jobs in Uganda when the Britishers arrived. The Indians later prospered in trade and the professions.
Uganda became independent in 1962. Dr Milton Obote was the first prime minister. King Freddie of Buganda became president. In 1971 General Idi Amin Dada launched a coup d ‘etat. Amin expelled the Indians from the country. They moved to the United Kingdom. Idi Ami ruled the country for eight bloody years. Hundreds of thousands of people were slain on his orders. He was finally ousted.
Dr Obote briefly returned as prime minister. Binaisa then became the leader. Finally, Yoweri Museveni became president. President Museveni ruled for 30 years. The Lord’s Resistance Army started an insurrection in the north.
The country is mostly Christian. There are Muslims too.
The capital city is Kampala. This country borders Rwanda, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Kenya and South Sudan. The country is beside Lake Victoria.
Uganda is a keen member of the Commonwealth of Nations. Uganda has twice hosted the Commonwealth Heads of Government Conference.
The currency is the Ugandan Shilling. The Flag has black, red and yellow horizontal stripes. There is a central white disc featuring a black crane which is a bird.
- What is the official language of the country?
- What is the major language of the country besides English?
- Which Europeans ruled this country?
- What kingdom made up much of the territory of Buganda prior to the British arriving?
- People from which Asian country arrived in large numbers after 1890?
- What huge river flows through Uganda?
- Is Uganda in the Commonwealth?
- What is the capital?
- What is the currency?
- What are the colours of the flag?
- Which dictator ruled Uganda in the 70s?
- Who was the first prime minister of the country?
- Who has been president since the 1980s.
- Name a country that neighbours this country.
- Which lake is Uganda beside.
- Describe the climate.
- Who was the first President of Uganda?
- Which ethnic minority was kicked out in 1972?
- What is the main religion of this country?
- Which organisation caused an insurrection in the 1980s and 1990s?