THE EURASIAN UNION.
This organisation was founded in 2011. The original member states are Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus. The three presidents met to sign an agreement. They are Putin, Nazarbayev and Lukashenko respectively. The Eurasian Union is an economic zone. It also aims at political co-operation. People from any of these countries have the right to live and work in the others. The Eurasian Union is ”based on the most positive values of the Soviet Union.”
Armenia has since joined the Eurasian Union. Kyrgyzstan is thinking about it. The languages of all four member states are official languages of the EAU. In practice Russian is used since it is the only language common to all member states. There is no one capital of the EAU. The commission of it is in Moscow, the development bank is in Astana and the court is in Minsk.
The EAU provides a bright future for all member states. They can all become rich by working together. There is talk about forming one currency. In the days of the USSR they all used the rouble. In future they may have a common currency. Another possibility is a fixed rate of exchange between their currencies.
All EAU countries are also members of the CIS. The EAU is the inner core of the CIS.
1. When was the EAU founded?
2. Who is the president of Belarus?
3. Which EAU institution is in Almaty?
4. What is the purpose of the EAU?
5. Is there a common currency for the EAU now?
6. Which country joined the EAU after 2011?
7. Which country will probably join soon?
8. What rights does a Kazakh have in relation to Russia?
9. What language is used by EAU organisations?
10. Do you think the EAU is a good idea? (6)